Translate

Using Ask If


1. What ask if means

We use ask if to report yes/no questions.

It introduces an indirect (reported) question, usually after verbs like ask, wonder, want to know.

👉 Structure:

Subject + asked + (object) + if + clause

2. Examples

a) Direct question → Indirect with if

Direct: “Are you hungry?”

Indirect: He asked if I was hungry.

Direct: “Did she call you?”

Indirect: He asked if she had called me.

b) With whether (similar to if)

He asked whether I was busy.

(if and whether are often interchangeable, but whether is more formal.)

c) With modal verbs

Direct: “Can you help me?”

Indirect: She asked if I could help her.

d) With future tense

Direct: “Will you join us?”

Indirect: They asked if I would join them.

3. Common Mistakes

❌ He asked me if am hungry.

✅ He asked me if I was hungry. (backshift tense in reported speech)

❌ He asked if do I like pizza.

✅ He asked if I liked pizza. (no question word order after if)

✅ Quick rule to remember:

After ask if, always use statement word order (subject + verb), not question word order.

Notes:

* If, NOT that, is used after ask to introduce noun clause.

* Whether has the same meaning as if. 

*The (pro)noun object (e.g., me) may be

omitted after ask.

* In addition to ask, yes/no questions can be reported by using want to know, wonder, and inquire.


Comments

🎮 POPÜLER ⭐ 4.5

Ultra Blocks

Klasik Bulmaca · Strateji · Zeka Oyunu

Hızlı düşün, akıllıca istifle ve küresel liderlik tablosunda zirveye oyna! Ultra Blocks, klasik arcade bulmaca mantığını modern strateji ve göz alıcı görsel efektlerle birleştiriyor. Blokları sürükleyip yerleştir, tam satırları temizle ve rekorlarını kır!

🏆 Küresel Sıralama PlayFab ile dünyaya meydan oku
🎨 Özelleştirilebilir Tema Neon’dan klasik ahşaba
📱 Her Cihazda Telefon, tablet, TV ve katlanabilir
👑 VIP Kulüp Reklamsız · Sınırsız döndürme
⬇️ Google Play'den Ücretsiz İndir
📦 50 MB · Çevrimdışı oynanabilir 🔒 Veriler şifrelenir
PDF Okuyucu İkonu

Hızlı PDF Okuyucu

Hızlı, hafif ve kullanıcı dostu PDF görüntüleme deneyimi.

Google Play'den İndir

Popular posts from this blog

The Erasure of Digital Self: Navigating Post-Privacy Paradigms | Advanced English

The Intricacies of Modern Traffic Jurisprudence

33 Common Phrasal Verbs Starting with Y | Learn English