Translate

Expressing Ability : Can and Could

 Can

  • Present ability: Use "can" to talk about what someone is able to do now.
    • "I can speak Spanish." (I have the ability to speak Spanish at this time.)
    • "She can play the piano." (She has the skill to play the piano now.)
    • "They can't come to the party." (They are not able to come to the party at this time.)

Could

  • Past ability: Use "could" to talk about what someone was able to do in the past.
    • "I could run a mile when I was younger." (I had the ability to run a mile in the past, but maybe not now.)
    • "He could swim very well as a child." (He had the skill to swim well in the past.)
    • "They couldn't finish the project on time." (They were not able to finish the project in the past.)

Important Notes:

  • "Could" for polite requests: "Could" is also used to make polite requests, but that's a different function than expressing ability. For example, "Could you please pass the salt?"
  • "Be able to": If you need to use a different tense (like future or present perfect), you'll need to use "be able to" because "can" and "could" don't have those forms.
    • "I will be able to help you tomorrow." (Future)
    • "She has been able to play the guitar since she was ten." (Present perfect)

Examples to illustrate the difference:

  • "I can ride a bike." (I have the ability to ride a bike now.)
  • "I could ride a bike when I was five." (I had the ability to ride a bike in the past.)

Comments

🎮 POPÜLER ⭐ 4.5

Ultra Blocks

Klasik Bulmaca · Strateji · Zeka Oyunu

Hızlı düşün, akıllıca istifle ve küresel liderlik tablosunda zirveye oyna! Ultra Blocks, klasik arcade bulmaca mantığını modern strateji ve göz alıcı görsel efektlerle birleştiriyor. Blokları sürükleyip yerleştir, tam satırları temizle ve rekorlarını kır!

🏆 Küresel Sıralama PlayFab ile dünyaya meydan oku
🎨 Özelleştirilebilir Tema Neon’dan klasik ahşaba
📱 Her Cihazda Telefon, tablet, TV ve katlanabilir
👑 VIP Kulüp Reklamsız · Sınırsız döndürme
⬇️ Google Play'den Ücretsiz İndir
📦 50 MB · Çevrimdışı oynanabilir 🔒 Veriler şifrelenir
PDF Okuyucu İkonu

Hızlı PDF Okuyucu

Hızlı, hafif ve kullanıcı dostu PDF görüntüleme deneyimi.

Google Play'den İndir

Popular posts from this blog

The Erasure of Digital Self: Navigating Post-Privacy Paradigms | Advanced English

The Intricacies of Modern Traffic Jurisprudence

33 Common Phrasal Verbs Starting with Y | Learn English